Fancy yourself an entrepreneurial designer, who's also passionate about learning / teaching / education / helping others? Read on:
Our client helps 45 million people learn and expand their skills, to help them change careers and achieve their dreams.
And the best part is that YOU, as their new Senior Product Designer, could be spearheading a brand new premium product, from concept through to launch + iteration, to help people learn better than ever before, in a bespoke, individualized way.
Our client is a mission-driven, Series C, EdTech startup, with nearly $50MM in funding from big players including Union Square Ventures and Virgin Group. Their name has incredible brand recognition, and their culture is inclusive, accessibility- and mission-driven, and incredibly bright.
If you’re the kind of designer who likes to “nerd out” on design / typography / printmaking / etc, and take special trips to museums and galleries to study design in all its many wondrous forms, you’ve found your people. And, our client is an integral member of the design and tech community at large, hosting and attending events, hackathons, and meetups regularly.
They are seeking a fulltime SENIOR PRODUCT DESIGNER, with leanings in Visual UI, to join their 5-person product design team, and work on the above-mentioned new premium product.
You’ll also get to pitch in on x-platform partnership tools and growth initiatives, so any experience with free => paid subscriptions is a plus, too.
You’re probably an entrepreneurial type, and enjoy working in early-stage startups and building products from scratch. If you have a “side hustle” or have been a founder of a company or organization, that’s a big plus, as a “Founders Mentality” is prized there, and they encourage that in their culture.
And, if you’re a career changer yourself, that’s also great! They have a special place for career changers in their hearts, as that’s a major thrust of their mission.
Their “Senior” level is actually quite senior, so you probably have 7+ years of relevant experience, and/or you’ve been able to own and lead the product design of an entire product, from concept through launch, and provide examples of leadership, drive, and success in doing so. You’re a stickler for KPIs and metrics, and you have them at the ready for your past projects.
Any experience with User Research and User Testing is a major plus, but as you’re probably coming up through Visual vs. UX, they’re not expecting a ton of it.
Their Head of Design is someone we’ve known and worked with for years, so we can personally attest that he is fantastic; a real player/coach type. Hey, really liking and trusting your boss is so important for longterm happiness in any job, and he’d be an ideal one. He’s got a down-to-earth, friendly vibe, and is thoughtful, detailed, passionate about the work they’re doing as a company, and is committed to fostering and furthering the careers of each member of his team.
The ideal candidate:
- Has startup experience –the earlier stage, the better –and isn't afraid of a scrappy culture + process
- If you’ve been a Founder, or have your own side hustle business, let us know – they love that!
- Has experience creating product(s) from scratch that launched
- Can communicate clear KPIs and success metrics
- Has a passion for learning and/or teaching
- Is mission-driven
- Has a good amount of consumer-facing work in their portfolio
- Bonus points for free => paid subscription model conversion experience, gamification, etc.
- Think: Tindr, Headspace, Airbnb - what encourages people to stay and delve deeper into a site/app
- Designs x-platform: a mix of responsive web (most important) + native mobile app
- You are a natural at building and nurturing collaborative partnerships across departments, especially Product and Dev
- Their Dev team trusts the Design team inherently and vice versa; it’s a great, even-keeled relationship of collaboration and experimentation
- Is motivated by the mission of giving people access to tools to better their lives, using your powerful design skills for the greater good!
Cherries on the sundae:
• Design-related degree (BA/BFA, MA/MFA) from a top-ranked design school
• You’ve been a career-changer
• Award-winning product design work
TO APPLY, either apply here on our site, or email your resume, portfolio, and approx salary $ range to:
info (at) joanneweavergroup (dot) com
***REFERRAL BONUS of up to $1K***
Please help us spread the word and you can earn up to $1K as a referral bonus if we place your person longterm in this role, or any of our roles!